26 September 2009
"The Trent Valley: Advancing the Research Strategy" - Third Trent Valley GeoArchaeology Conference 2009
Further information at http://www.tvg.bham.ac.uk/conference.htm.
22 September 2009
16 September 2009
- The castle in the landscape (David Mercer)
- Castles of Nottinghamshire: a thematic approach to recent fieldwork (James Wright)
- Seen and unseen: landscape narratives and fresh perspectives on Laxton castle (Keith Challis)
- Nottingham Castle: 'Noble Pallace of the Duke of Newcastle' (Trevor Foulds)
Contact: Mrs M Woodhead, 12 Church Street, Edwinstowe, Mansfield, Notts NG21 9QA.
- A new map of Sherwood Forest
- Did a Keyworth man meet Napoleon?
- The Somme, Nottingham and the local press
- Diary of events
Further details on the Local Historian website:
15 September 2009
- Rufford Abbey and the Savile family (14 October 2009)
- Researching parish church histories in the Nottinghamshire Archives (28 October 2009)
- The workhouse and its records (11 November 2009)
- Discovering Nottingham's architectural heritage (25 November 2009)
14 September 2009
A fantastic new online resource for anyone interested in Worksop's history was officially launced by Sir Andrew Buchanan on Saturday. The website contains a series of illustrated essays on aspects of the town's history and also essays on the Dukery estates (Clumber, Thoresby, Worksop Manor, Welbeck and Rufford abbey). You can also view over 2000 photographs from Bassetlaw Museum's collections.
The project also includes the publication of a 20-page guide book and the setting-up of five interpretation boards at strategic points around the town.
- Southwell Roman villa
- Worksop Heritage Trail
- Jacksdale war memorial and community archaeology
- Medieval Sherwood Forest map
- Mansfield Woodhouse ‘Little Big Dig’
- Heritage events over the Summer
Download from: www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/heritagenews.pdf